We break down the six stages of the sales funnel for just about all of our clients. In this post, we will explain what the sales funnel is and how the modern six step process works.
What is a sales funnel?
A sales funnel is a visual representation of the journey a customer takes from becoming aware of a product or service to making a purchase. It is a multi-step process that helps businesses understand how potential customers interact with their brand and how to guide them through the sales process.
There are six steps in the sales funnel, each of which plays a crucial role in converting potential customers into paying customers.
The six stages to the sales funnel include:
- Awareness: At the top of the sales funnel, potential customers become aware of your brand and the products or services you offer. This can happen through various marketing channels such as social media, search engines, or video advertising. The goal of this stage is to attract as many potential customers as possible. SEO can be valuable during the interest phase as consumers tend to trust organic SERP results more than PPC ads.
- Interest: Once potential customers become aware of your brand, the next step is to generate their interest in your products or services. This can be achieved through targeted marketing campaigns that highlight the benefits of your products or services and how they can solve customers’ problems or meet their needs.
- Consideration: At this stage, potential customers start to evaluate your products or services and compare them to those of your competitors. They may read reviews, check out your website, your socials or compare prices. To move customers to the next stage of the funnel, businesses need to provide high-quality content that highlights the unique selling points of their products or services and addresses any objections or concerns customers may have.
- Intent: When potential customers reach this stage, they have made a decision to buy and are ready to take action. This may involve filling out a form, adding products to their cart, or requesting a quote. The key is to make it as easy as possible for customers to take the next step and complete the purchase.
- Purchase: This is the moment when customers make a purchase and become paying customers. It’s important to make the buying process as smooth and frictionless as possible to avoid cart abandonment or customer churn. This may involve offering multiple payment options, providing clear instructions, and following up with customers after the sale.
- Loyalty: The final stage of the sales funnel is all about building customer loyalty and turning one-time buyers into repeat customers. This can be achieved through various strategies such as personalized marketing, loyalty programs, or excellent customer service. The goal is to create a positive customer experience that encourages customers to come back for more and recommend your brand to others.
Steps Can Be Skipped or Repeated
It’s important to note that not all customers go through each stage of the funnel, and some may drop off at different stages. The sales funnel is not a one-size-fits-all, and businesses should tailor their approach to the customer’s behavior and use the funnel as a guide to optimize the customer journey.
Schedule a Consultation
To learn more about the sales funnel, our how we can have an impact on yours with performance marketing, reach out to us.
We offer free initial consultations.